Free Beauty Tip #1: Sleep
Today I am going to let you in on one of the biggest secrets to preparing for an incredible session at Jupiter Boudoir: SLEEP. Getting a solid eight hours every night does more than make you feel rested, it also helps you look better and feel better. Beauty sleep is real, it’s free and it can start for you tonight!
Tired skin sags, bags, and loses its luster. “Lack of sleep causes blood vessels to dilate, causing the look of dark circles,” says dermatologist Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD, of the University of California, San Francisco. Sleepily rubbing your eyes doesn’t help those dark rings. Not enough sleep can also make you more stressed, and everyone can see that tension. “It makes you look angry, tired, sad, and certainly older,” says New York City dermatologist Doris Day, MD.
Studies have shown that during stages 3 & 4 of the R.E.M. cycle, your body produces more cells, stimulates collagen production, and increases your cell turnover rate. In fact, studies have pointed to 2am being the peak time for division of the bodies cells. Your skin is literally renewing and rejuvenating while you sleep. Getting enough sleep also temporarily reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the face and neck. “The good thing about the skin is that it recovers quickly,” Day says. Get a good night’s sleep tonight and tomorrow, everyone will notice. They may even tell you how well-rested you look. How much sleep do you need? Seven to eight hours of beauty rest nightly should do the trick, our experts say. You might wonder that if seven to eight hours of sleep is good, are 10 or 11 hours even better? Not so. “There are studies that show getting too much sleep is as detrimental to your skin as not getting enough,” Day says. Oversleeping can actually increase skin cell breakdown. She suggests taking a nap if you’re dragging, but don’t sleep in till noon. “You can’t bank sleep.”
Try these tips for a more beautiful night’s rest:
1. Start a positive bedtime ritual. “Visualize beautiful, healthy skin as you fall asleep and your body will go in that direction,” Day says.
2. Get into a sleep habit. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. “That rhythm is good for your skin,” Day says.
3. Become a back sleeper. Stomach sleeping presses your face into the pillow, creating a meshwork of fine lines and creases when you wake up.
4. Put a soft cover on your pillow. A pillowcase with a high thread count is kinder to your skin.
5. Go white for your sheets. Dyes on your sheets and pillowcase can irritate sensitive skin
So if you are looking for a quick and easy way to look your best when preparing for your beauty/glamour photography session at Jupiter Boudoir,make sure you get your 8 hours of rest..it will do you worlds of good inside and out!